How to start a new branch of Happy Helpers for the Homeless
- Find sources to regularly obtain the items to make the lunches.
- Locate a site to hold the lunch-making sessions.
- Research how many lunches are needed.
- Determine where the distributions will take place.
- Determine the day and time the food is most needed.
- Decide what age group will make up your “Happy Helpers.”
- Recruit volunteers through newspapers, schools, groups, and by posting fliers.
- Plan out a lunch-making process.
- Plan out transportation requirements.
- Always practice safe food handling.
- Collect toiletries, blankets and clothing for distribution, also.
- Always send a thank-you note to those who have helped.
- Have an awards program for the volunteers.
- Use a sign-in sheet to record volunteer hours.
- It is extremely important that you are able to refer the people to other help they may need, such as medical care and job training. You will need to research this information.
- Be advocates for the homeless. Notify the media to bring attention to the plight of the homeless. One person can make a difference!
- Hold extra special events for the people, such as parties, or a day of providing services such as dental care and haircuts.
- The main emphasis of “Happy Helpers” is on giving the people MUCH GENUINE CARE!
Call (443) 433-2416 for more information.